Fall 2020 Quick Start
Fall 2020 Faculty Quick Start Guide
We’ve put together a Fall 2020 Quick Start Guide to give you easy access to some of the technology resources you’ll be using this Fall. Use the guide below to explore these resources.
Attendance verification begins on the first day of classes. A two-question quiz in Folio titled “Georgia Southern Attendance Verification” allows students to automatically confirm their attendance in your classes.
- Do not make any changes to the quiz.
- Students will receive a news item in each course with a link to the quiz. Please encourage them to complete it.
- You will receive an injection page in your MyGS portal beginning Thursday, Aug. 20th, informing you of students whose verification has not been completed.
- For students who indicate non-attendance in error, you may confirm attendance on their behalf using the Attendance Verification roster in your MyGS portal.
- Students who are marked as not attending through your Attendance Verification Roster will be automatically dropped from the course in Banner.
You can find more information and step-by-step instructions on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
Folio Groups helps facilitate social distancing in classrooms. Using Groups, you can split classes into subsections and create different attendance patterns for those subsections.
- Students will need access to courses prior to the first week of classes in order to find their Group and attendance pattern, so don’t forget to activate your courses.
- You can leave all material you are still working on in an unpublished Draft state in Folio until you are ready to release that information to the class.
The use of Groups not only automates the sectioning process, it also creates real-time, balanced distributions during drop/add.
Use the link below to download step by step instructions for creating Groups in Folio.
You can also find more information about Folio in the documentation section of the Folio Classroom Tools page.
Technology resources for
Our catalog of how-to
videos for tech tools
A comprehensive guide
to technology resources
The Zoom web collaboration tool is available to faculty as a stand-alone web conferencing tool or inside the Folio learning management system. Use it to participate in meetings with colleagues, to schedule virtual office hours or collaborate with students, and much more. Explore the options below to learn more about Zoom.
Access Zoom, create a meeting, and invite participants
Zoom Online Rooms
Learn more about how Zoom integrates with Folio for faculty-student collaboration
Personalize your background, share your screen, and much more
View privacy and enhancement options or avoid Zoombombing
Have questions about using the technology inside your classrooms? We’ve created some tutorials to help you use cameras and microphones in your classes.
Learn how to use the wireless microphones located in classrooms. View the video or download complete instructions.
Use the Epson doc cams in classrooms as web cams. View the video or download complete instructions.
Have questions about the resources listed here or any other technology related issues? Our MyTech Support team is happy to help. Contact us >
Last updated: 8/6/2020